Thursday, February 9, 2012

Barnyard Hamlet

Act I Scene i

Enter Barnardo and Francisco
Barnardo: Who's there?
Francisco: Bernardo. You come most carefully upon your hour.
Barnardo: Well, good night.
Exit Francisco. Enter Horatio, Marcellus.
Marcellus: Holla, Bernardo
Horatio: What, has this thing appeared again tonight?
Enter Ghost
Marcellus: Look where it comes again.
Horatio: By Heaven, I charge thee, speak. Stay and Speak!
Barnardo: 'Tis here.
Exit Ghost
Marcellus: 'Tis gone
Horatio: Let us impart what we have seen tonight unto young Hamlet.
They Exit

Barnardo, Marcellus, Francisco- Dogs- because they are the guards that guard the castle and the people inside like dgos who protect and watch over the other farm animals
Horatio- Rabbit- because Horatio is quick to deny this ghost and quick to suggest Hamlet to speak to it after the ghost leaves

Act I Scene ii

Enter Claudius, Gertrude, Polonius, Laertes, Hamlet, Voltemand, Cornelius
King: You, good Cornelius, and you, Voltemand, For bearers of this greeting to old Norway.
Cornelius/Voltemand: In that and all things will we show our duty.
Exit Cornelius and Voltemand
King: And now, Laertes, what's the news with you?
Laertes:  My dread lord, Your leave and favor to return to France.
Polonius: Upon his will I sealed my hard consent.
King: Take thy fair hour, Laertes. But now, my cousin Hamlet and my son. How is it that the cloudsstill hang on you?
Hamlet: Not so, my Lord; I am too much in the sun.
Queen: Why seems it particular with thee?
Hamlet: "Seems," madam? Nay it is. I know not "seems."
All but Hamlet Exit. Enter Horatio, Marcellus, Barnardo.
Horatio: Hail to your lordship
Hamlet: I am glad to see you well.
Horatio: I think I saw him yesternight. The King your father.
Hamlet: But where was this?
Marcellus: Upon the platform where we watch.
Hamlet: If it assume my father's person I'll speak to it. Let it be tenable in your silence.
All: Our duty to your honor.
All Exit

Claudius, Hamlet, Gertrude- Horses- because horses are the most majestic animal on the farm
Polonius- Bull- Bulls have a sense of pride like Polonius and do things for their self interest
Cornelius and Voltemand- Ducks- because they are the messengers for Claudius and only farm animal that can fly
Laertes- Cat- Cats look like very smart animals like Laertes is.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your explanation re: Horatio being rabbit-like; good lines - but I would have included lines from Hamlet's soliloquy - I like that you ended with "Our duty to your honor" referring to Hamlet

    14/15

    ReplyDelete